Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Today in Class: Translations

They're baaaaack! The hordes of students!

I'm teaching World Lit again (yay!).

ME: In this class, we'll be reading literature from around the world, as long as it wasn't originally written in English. So nothing from America, nothing from England or Australia, or anywhere where the native language is English.

KID: *eyes wide, but too scared to speak on the first day*

ME: We'll start with the Ancient World, and read things from GILGAMESH and THE BOOK OF THE DEAD. We'll do three plays from Greece, then focus on China and Japan, and wrap up with Europe from the Middle Ages to the Holocaust.

KID: *eyes wider, practically trembling*

ME: Is something wrong?

KID: You're going to make us learn all those languages?! I can barely speak English! I can't read nothing in Chinese!

18 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

LOL kids are too funny!

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha! Ha! Love these classroom stories. Keep 'em coming!

Jennifer said...

Woohoo! I love the today in class stories. :) Great kick off to the year, huh?

Tana said...

Ha! I can practically sense the fear and trembling. You go girl..

The Screaming Guppy said...

LOL! I love your posts about your students. Hilarious!

Davin Malasarn said...

I hope you don't tell them the truth until at least Friday.

Trisha Pearson said...

LOL Too funny!

Heather Zundel said...

Yes!!! Today In Class is back in session! I love you being back in school. Those poor poor kids. :)

Elana Johnson said...

That is hilarious! :)

~Jamie said...

ZOMGZZZZZZ They're back?!?!?! YAAAY this makes me so happy...

Anonymous said...

I know it's not fair for me to get pleasure out of you having to be back at school, but I've missed these posts. What grade to you teach again--middle-school, right? I don't remember my son ever doing this level of stuff, and he's been learning Spanish and Klingon! :)

Erin said...

I admit I haven't kept up with blogs very well this summer, but I saw your title "Today in Class" and I HAD to come read it. I love these posts! This one is hilarious! What age group to you teach??

Abby Annis said...

Hilarious!!

Kelly H-Y said...

Ahhh, how I've missed 'Today in Class' this summer! So glad they're back!! :-)

Tabitha said...

LOL!! I sure have missed your 'Today in Class' posts. They are too funny. :)

Unknown said...

LOL @ all of you who are happy that I'm back at work! *blows a huge raspberry at you all*

I teach tenth graders--so typically they're about 15 years old, give or take a year, depending on their b-days.

DAVIN: THAT IS THE BEST IDEA EVER. Unfortunately, I had pity on her, and told her the truth. I will not make that mistake again! ;)

Christina Farley said...

Halarious! I bet you're a cool teacher.

Anonymous said...

Lol! How old are these kids? Looking forward to more of these posts!